San Joaquin Valley College
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration at San Joaquin Valley College
SJVC's Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC or HVAC-R) program prepares you for year-round job security as a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning service technician. Curriculum focuses on theories of heating, refrigeration and air conditioning. Students study the operation, maintenance and repair of residential and commercial equipment.
- Heating and cooling principles
- Electrical theories
- Diagnosing mechanical and electrical problems
- Proper installation, servicing and replacement techniques
A Refrigeration and Air Conditioning service technician often works in a variety of areas, including:
- Residential heating/cooling
- Commercial refrigeration heating and cooling installation (mini marts, retail stores, restaurants, hotels, office complexes, food storage and processing plants)
- Industrial refrigeration (cold storage and manufacturing plants)
- Transport refrigeration (truck/trailer refrigeration, railroad, ocean-going and air freight)
Graduates can earn a Certificate of Completion in about 9 months, or an Associate of Science Degree in about 15 months.
Graduates also have the opportunity to earn the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 608 certification. Fees associated with this examination are included in tuition for first-time test takers. Payment for retakes or subsequent exams are the responsibility of the graduate. Failure to sit for the exam does not constitute a refund or discount in tuition.
Source: Career School Now - San Joaquin Valley College